Finding inspiration is not always as simple as it sounds, whether you’ve been designing for years or only weeks. Below is an article by Meg White listing the best resources to find inspiration and direction on your next decoration project.
There’s no shortage of people with opinions about the designs that will influence 2013 at the International Builders Show in Las Vegas this week. But where do these visionaries get their ideas? Here are a handful of places to which design gurus admit to turning for inspiration.
- Science: Sherwin Williams’ color expert, Jackie Jordan, cites the developments in “bio-couture” as well as the use of fungal mycelium as a building medium and packaging material as inspiration for their “honed vitality” color palette.
- Model Homes: Jerry Collin, design director at Kay Green Design Inc. in Florida, notes that companies such as his “separate models by color,” a trick that can be helpful for home stagers who want house hunters to remember individual residences more easily in a crowded field.
- Shoes: “When I’m looking at trends … I go to the shoe department,” says Becky Spak, director of color marketing and design services for Sherwin-Williams. “My husband doesn’t believe me, but that’s what I’m doing. I’m working!” She suggests paying special attention to both shoe materials and decorative elements such as buckles and bows.
- Technology: Marc Thee of Marc-Michaels Interior Design in Florida finds that the trend of home buyers purchasing e-readers “sadly” has lead to a lessened interest in built-in bookshelves. As an alternative, he favors repurposing such spaces into “floating shelves” that function as “collection cabinets.”
- Pop Culture: Spak also notes that several of Sherwin Williams’ 2013 palettes are influenced by movies and television. She noted that their diverse Hollywood inspirations ranged from Dark Shadows to Mad Men to The Great Gatsby.
- The Auto Industry: Ruthanne Hanlon, a design consultant for PPG National, says that the matte black seen in Kohler’s new faucet designs (pictured) comes straight from favored looks found in the luxury car market over the past few years.
- Custom Home Designs: Jane Meagher, president of the national design studio Success Strategies, suggests looking at “custom homes to see where the new trends are.” Home buyers who are deciding what they want in their own new-construction homes can be a fashion-forward reflection of the market as a whole.
- Pinterest: Countless designers at the show cited the explosive growth of this image and idea-sharing social media site. “Make no mistake, Pinterest is here to stay,” says Alan Daniel, CEO and co-founder of Texas-based marketing firm SmartTouch Interactive. “[But] be deliberate with your pin posts, because it’s a reflection of your brand.”
Timothy Real Estate Group has professional designers and stagers that can help you prepare your home for the war. Gorilla tactics that work because it is a Price War and a Beauty Contest that can mean making and saving more with your property investment. Stay informed about Puerto Vallarta Real Estate and sign up for our newsletter… click here
Timothy Real Estate Group – An innovative company setting new standards in Real Estate sales and services has the most professional and experienced Realtors in the Puerto Vallarta area who understand the intricacies of Mexican Real Estate ownership, the local market, Puerto Vallarta property codes and regulations and financing. The Timothy Group uses that knowledge to provide a sound analysis on every aspect of property ownership. Timothy Real Estate Group is known for professionalism and experience and they bring this to every transaction they work on for the benefit of Real Estate investors and developers alike. Ask about our Real Estate Listings