Landlords are always looking for ways to save money, and to put more cash in their pockets.
One way to do that is to make it a point to follow a few simple procedures every year to help prevent problems in your rental property before they begin. Your tenants will also thank you when their utility bills are lower with these simple fixes.
Don’t forget about your own home in the process. Taking just a few steps to reduce energy loss in your home can save you big bucks over time.
16 Simple Ways to Prepare Your Property for Cold Weather
- Have your heating systems checked annually before cold weather every year. This not only helps the efficiency of the unit, but a properly functioning furnace is also a safe furnace.
- Make sure all your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly. Tenants don’t always stay on top of things like this. It might just take a simple reminder from you to ensure their safety this winter.
- Change the furnace filters monthly and consider adding a programmable thermostats to help save on energy costs. This might be a “bonus” you give tenants for extending their lease another year or two.
- Caulk around windows and doors and add weather-stripping as needed for energy efficiency. This is a good time to consider doing an energy audit to see what steps you can take to prevent heat loss and lower those winter heating bills (especially on your personal residence).
- If you have ceiling fans in your property, check to see if the fan has a reverse movement for winter. Changing the direction on the fan forces warn air down so that the room feels warmer.
- Turn off and winterize exterior faucets and irrigation systems.
- Make sure any exposed pipes are insulated to …read more